Friday, April 17, 2009

Winding Down....

Earlier this month, I have finished all of the encoding for the I-Witness publications. As a review, I encoded 11 out of 13 issues of the I-Witness using the XML markup language, and I only started the encoding process in mid to late February, so I finished everything relatively quickly. There were some QC issues that I needed to fix, but M.D. (my internship supervisor), said my coding work looked great. :)

I also caught a big mistake where the one of the pages of I-Witness was not scanned into the OCR (a method of digitalization for further review), and it had one page listed twice in one of the issues.

Next up, a possibility of some work on the Victorian Women Writers Project (VWWP), which is a set of publications created with a goal to produce highly accurate transcriptions of works by British women writers of the 19th century, encoded using the Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML). The works, selected with the assistance of the Advisory Board, will include anthologies, novels, political pamphlets, religious tracts, children's books, and volumes of poetry and verse drama. Considerable attention will be given to the accuracy and completeness of the texts, and to accurate bibliographical descriptions of them.

I haven't started on this project, but maybe sometime soon?!?

Another option for further work on the I-Witness is to do a schematron validation (another layer of validation) . From what I have been told, it should not take very long to do.

I was looking at interesting UITS steps workshops offered at the IU library recently, and I found one that peaked my interest. The title of the workshop is called XML: Transforming Content with XSLT and XPath, and it talked about features of XSLT (which is a transformation language) and XPATH (is a language used to query the data stored in an XML document). I thought both topics within XML were pretty interesting.....

As a result of taking the workshop, I am attempting to do some XSLT work on the IWitness, where I am counting the number of times a person's name is mentioned in a particular issue of the I-Witness. So I have been doing tutorials..and a bit of reading about XSLT during the past week.


Little 5 is next week...and hopefully, it will be warmer this last year...
...and the UNC Tarheels won the NCAA tourney this year, but it wasn't much of a contest..but it was still fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment